Varicose veins and spider veins are common ailments for one out of three adults. They usually appear on the calves, although spider veins can appear on any part of the body, and are caused when the vein is not moving the blood back to the heart efficiently. There are several treatments for varicose veins, including surgery as well as non-surgical vein treatments, such as sclerotherapy. There are several types of sclerotherapy, but all of them close off the vein so that it is gradually absorbed by the body and disappears. The excess blood travels through other, healthy interior veins.
Non-surgical or minimally-invasive procedures only require a tiny incision in the skin through which a catheter may be introduced. Some only require a small injection directly into the vein. Surgery requires an incision that is large enough for the surgeon to pull out the affected vein. There are several benefits of non-surgical vein treatments, including:
• The procedure is done in our office
• There is no hospitalization required
• The patient need not take time off work
• There are no stitches and rarely any scarring
• There is less chance of developing deep vein thrombosis because the patient is mobile quickly after the procedure
There are several different types of minimally-invasive vein treatments, including:
• Endovenous therapy is a treatment where the doctor makes a tiny incision and passes a thin catheter into the vein. Through the catheter, radiofrequency or laser is passed into the vein, causing the vein to collapse and close.
• Sclerotherapy is a treatment that involves injecting a liquid into the vein to irritate the vein walls and cause them to collapse.
During the consultation before the procedure, you should tell our specialist if you have any allergies or are taking any medications, including herbal dietary supplements. You may be asked to stop taking aspirin or ibuprofen.
During the procedure, you will be awake. Your leg will be cleaned and a local anesthetic may be applied. If a catheter is inserted, you may feel a little pressure, and you will be given protective eyewear if lasers are used. After the procedure, your legs will be wrapped in bandages, and you may be asked to wear compression stockings for a few weeks.
If you have unsightly and uncomfortable varicose or spider veins, The Vein Center in Mount Pleasant may be able to help with a simple treatment that removes the swollen veins. With several types of non-surgical vein treatments to choose from, you may be able to have smooth legs again. Contact our office today to schedule your consultation to learn more.